Sunday, June 24, 2012

A full work week

An exciting week ends.  After all of the searching I finally have work!  Currently, I am temping in  the main AAPD office.  I go to a computer and do work from it.  Mainly, I work with one of the AAPD's allies, David.  David is a contractor who works with the AAPD on matters relating to healthcare.

The result is an incredible learning experience for me.  For one of my jobs, I learned what the Affordable Health Care Act offers.  I also had to read the trandscript of a  congressional hearing on Security Supplemental Income, and I attended a hearing held by Senator Harkin on the Government's enforcment of the Olmstead Supreme Court decision.  The expereinces were wonderful.  They have helped my own political views become more nuanced.  And I am not gonna lie..being in a room with three Senators, and seeing part of my face on C-Span (I was right behind one of the witnessess) was awesome!

Also, a major personal development occured in my life. I have used tv to relax for a long time. In the last couple of days, I have decided upon some physical exercises to try as a substitute. Hey, they say our generation watches to much tv, right? Hopefully, this can serve as a substitute.

Other than that, life has been fairly ordinary around here.  Slowly I have settled into a pattern, eating reasonably healthy, doing what I need to maintain myself, having fun.   I am curious about what this week will bring, as I feel I have figuredout a lot of the basic stuff I need to do to keep myself on task. Still, as I sit here typing this, a thought occurs to me....will this be the week I join DHS, or stay at AAPD?  Both are great oppertunities. 

Well, almost time for sleep than work.  I wonder what will happen this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.