Sunday, June 24, 2012

Busy! Busy! Busy!


        My fifth weekend in D.C. was the busiest by far. Since I finished all of my projects for the week by Thursday, I only had to work a couple hours on Friday, which meant I had a whole extra afternoon to explore the city. YES!! Plus, my parents were in town for the weekend, and I had an extra long list of sights to see and things to do. I packed two or three weekends’ worth of activities into one.  Fortunately, they both have tomorrow off from work and will be able to recover from our exhausting expedition. 

After taking a couple rides on the metro and walking to pretty much everywhere in the 90˚ weather, I think they quickly learned what D.C. is like—hot, crowded, and a little crazy. But, I love every bit of it mostly because it’s the opposite of Michigan.  (The best part is that you can order dessert after meals and know you’ll be able to burn off all the calories before reaching your next destination.)

Our schedule Friday was filled with visits to Chinatown, the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, WW2 Memorial, Pentagon Memorial, the Washington Monument, Arlington Cemetery, and SHOPPING! Despite my dad’s protests, my mom and I dragged him to the mall at Pentagon City, and he of course went up, down, and across all four levels and was calling us to see if we were ready to leave before we left our first store.  Saturday and Sunday were just as exciting (and tiring).  More monuments, memorials, museums, and shopping excursions were crammed into our limited time frame. Oh, and I can’t forget to mention that I got my picture with Justin Timberlake. Jealous?
Me with a rather waxy Justin Timberlake at Madame Tussauds Wax Museum in Washington D.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.