Saturday, June 9, 2012

Week 2:


I have come to the realization that everything in Washington, DC is very fast paced.... Moreso than anticipated given my limited prior experience in big cities. It is a way of life around here.... Since moving to Washington, DC I have found myself waking up at 6 a.m. and getting home at 6 p.m. (on a good day). It is a challenge that I looked forward to for some time prior to the move and something that I continue to meet head on. Nevertheless, it has been an adjustment to say the least. The biggest thing for me has been the perceived lack of independence I have felt since arriving in Washington, DC. It is the first time in my life I have really been without a car and/or the means to accomplish my goals in a timely fashion. Everything feels so rushed and I am left feeling uubalanced at the end of the day.    

On another note, my work atmosphere has been great! Everyone at the job is very nice and so very helpful. I find myself learning so much each and every day! My experience has pretty much been baptism by fire.... which is the best way to learn as far as I'm concerned. I have had to be much more organized and plan things out much better in order to meet the demands of my work. I can see what it is going to take in order to get to the top. My supervisor and his boss spend long hours at work; typically the first to arrive and one of the last to leave. I have been taking note of their work ethic and trying to emulate the things I see them exceling at. I found out quickly that there is also much to learn from other fellows/interns on the job. I've formed a solid relationship with one in particular and continue to become a more well-rounded employee through his shared experiences.

While it has only been two weeks and things seem quite hectic at times, I look forward to the weeks and months to come with great excitement. I know that things will begin to normalize and life will seem much more managable when this happens. This has been a great expereince and will lay the foundation for the rest of my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.