Sunday, June 17, 2012

D.C. in D.C. week 3

Tired.Tired.Tired. BUT, hard work pays off (and it pays off pretty big)! Well, for my blog entry's first word to be tired, I must have done something to make me tired and sure enough I've done PLENTY but for the sake of the argument it has been nothing but things that have open huge doors in my life! I often use the phrase, "no rest for the weary" and I finally knows how this truly feels. As if working from at least 8-9 hours Monday through Friday isn't enough, somehow, only God knows why, I always find more things to do! I can say though they are for a good cause and I would rather do this than to be lazy from Friday evening to Sunday evening.

 Now, let me finally tell you what "this" thing is: A little over a week ago, I met a man name Dr. Bemley who is the Founder and Director of Joint Education Facilities, Inc. He gave me the pleasure of being a mentor/member of his program in which college students in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) concentrations mentor school-aged kids in Math and High-Level Computing. So when I took on this opportunity, a whole lot more of them came to follow, and when I say A LOT, I mean A LOT! For starters, for the remainder of my time here in DC, I am now a member of the local chapter of Black Data Processors Associates or simply BDPA! I attended their Regional IT Showcase and Technology Summit in Bowie, Maryland yesterday, I may be attending their Southwest Regional IT Showcase in Columbia, South Carolina but most definitely attending the National BDPA Conference in August which will be in Baltimore, Maryland (#Winning)! God is Good, I won't ever stop saying that because He has been SO Good to me! I won't ever forget to give a big shout out to AAPD because truly without you Dana, Mark, Margaret and the rest of the team, this would not be possible! This is a major move for me on all fronts because now with my membership I can advocate for People with Disabilities in the massive organization BDPA! BDPA is already a minority- friendly organization so I would like to open their eyes to the fact that People with Disabilities are also skilled in the STEM- oriented workforce. I am, and always will remain to represent for the AAPD, it is a tremendous honor to be apart of two great organizations and my success through both of them has just begun!

Well, when I said I was tired I wasn't joking around! My life is full of hard work needing to be done and now you know what I mean! I am having the time of my life right now, and through all the blood, sweat and tears, all the triumphs, I won't complain!

Until next time,

Carrie D.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.