Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Ultimate Measure...


Last night we had a storm hit DC. Before this storm hit things were quiet, when my roommate went to the store for me earlier that evening, she even commented on the stillness and humidity. Twenty minutes after she returned, though, the wind picked up rather quickly and very strongly. I was pretty sure the tree outside our window was going to snap. Then, this morning I woke up to the sun shinning with the only evidence of a storm being the bits of tree debris on the ground.

Life works the same way sometimes. Things seem so calm and peaceful and than BOOM it all blows up in your face sin a moment. I have never been very good at handling these boom moments in my life. I am getting better at it but, for sure, I have some work to do. Since getting down to DC it seems that one thing after another has hit me. My grandmother’s death, some other family stuff, the realization that statistics are against me living a full independent life and my body being uncooperative. It has been very freighting and part of my came vey close to snapping under the pressure.

Today I went strolling through the National Mall and I ended up at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial. One of the quotes on the wall was the following: “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” I was convicted by this quote. You see, my faith has always been what has sustained me. Even before I came to understand God through the lens of Christianity I still believed that God existed and that alone sustained me through life’s storms.  Yet, through this particular storm I have been ignoring God, except as a recipient of my anger and fears.

This evening I read the following verse: “call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.” (Psalm 50:15). I will trust that my God hears my cry even in the midst of this storm. I will believe that He will deliver me. I will also trust Him with the way He chooses to deliver me. It may not be what I would want or expect but I know that He is trustworthy and that I exist not for my own desires but for His glorification alone. I will stand on my faith in this time of challenge and controversy because my faith is the ruler by which I want to be measured. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.