Monday, June 11, 2012

The First Week

As one gets older, the time between milestones becomes longer and longer. Tuesday, May 29, was a milestone for me. It was my first day of my first internship. I never had interned before until this summer and I am excited to say that my first internship is with American Association for People with Disabilities (AAPD). I am placed into two internships--one on Capitol Hill, where I will work for Congressman Steny Hoyer, and one on K Street, where I will work for National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty.

Last week was the orientation. However, before the orientation, it was the Memorial Weekend and the weekend to move in our new home, in Foggy Bottom. Even though I am originally from Massachusetts, I was already in DC by then. I attend to an university in DC--Gallaudet University. To haul all of my things that aren’t in a storage, my boyfriend and I rented a car and drove from Gallaudet University to my new place at Foggy Bottom. At the minute I entered the room for the first time, my jaw dropped. The room was spacious and bright with the sunlight coming from the huge window in the common room. After living in a dorm room without kitchen for two years, it was nice to move in a dorm room with a kitchen, where I could cook and bake. I cannot wait to savor my very own Toll House pie!

Of course, I have to talk about the orientation! It was the week when my eyes opened even more. The orientation was a wonderful opportunity for me to learn more about the disability community. I was born deaf and grew up in the Deaf community, but I was not exposed to the disability community as much I was exposed to the Deaf community. There were many special guest speakers, such as Joyce Bender, David Hale, and many more. The speakers were inspiring, especially when they took time to meet with us individually to answer some of our personal questions regarding to our disability or issues or anything.  In a nutshell, the orientation broadened my knowledge and encouraged me to be more active in human rights, especially when it comes to the disability community.



**Yes, this entry is a week late. I apologize for my tech-awkwardness. Somehow I struggled to enter AAPD blog until today!**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.