Monday, June 18, 2012

DC, Jersey and in between


Well hello everyone! So where did I last leave off? 

 Work-wise, I've been involved in some pretty cool lobbying assignments in the areas of ageing and disability-particularly with the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities-we're trying to get the Senate to ratify it so that the United States can be involved in the steering committee. After work, I headed out to the monthly NYU Alumni Happy Hour-it was a lot of fun meeting friendly faces from my undergrad years. 

On Wednesday, I had the honor of being asked to present the AAPD mission statement in American Sign Language for their website. Afterwards, I went with another intern to an open captioned indie film called "Ultrasonic". It was a psychological thriller that had me thinking pretty hard afterwards. After work on Thursday, I met up with a good friend from my undergraduate years and bumped into someone I knew from my time in the United Kingdom. D.C. really is a small world. On Friday I took the train home to New Jersey and got to see my family, and my very adorable Schnauzer. Did I mention there was free food? We celebrated Father’s Day with yummy Fajitas and Mojitos. Got home late last night and headed into work today a bit tired. But I perked up when I realized I was heading to the Rayburn Building (House of Representatives-for those in the know) and had the privilege of meeting some incredible people in the industry. I also heard a little more about US-Middle East relations and listened to leading analysts describe its implications for the 2012 Presidential elections. Cool beans!

And now I’m home-doing laundry and hopefully going to catch up on my sleep before another whirlwind week! Cheers and ‘bis nächste Woche’.

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.