Sunday, June 24, 2012

Roommate Relationships


I haven’t had roommates for a few years now. I have been living on my own in dorms and I have to say I was so nervous about having roommates again, not only for my sake but theirs as well. I mean, I am quite quirky; for instance, when I get stressed out I like to clean. Sometimes my anxiety is so bad that I will wake at two in the morning with this irresistible urge to clean. And I do clean: I pick up clothes, wash dishes, clean appliances, etc. Living by myself this does not pose much of a problem but I’m sure you could see how this may pose a problem with roommates. So far, though, my roommates have been fine with my midnight cleaning sprees so long as I stay away from the vacuum until after 9AM on weekdays and 11AM on weekends. They even allowed me to put the “No hairy monkey’s” clause in our roommate agreement—that’s complete acceptance there!

I was also nervous because I have a very sarcastic sense of humor and a lot of people consider it to be rough. I was seriously praying to God that he would help me to keep my tongue under control. It turns out, He did better than that, I have roommates that love my sense of humor. Oh, they think I am completely crazy but they love it! It’s absolutely fabulous. I love how we can all sit together at our rather small wobbly kitchen table and just laugh. I think what I love the most about our laughing fits is that most of the time if you asked us what we are laughing at we would probably attempt to answer but about a fifth of they way through the explanation we would be laughing too hard to finish.

I also learn so much from my roommates. One fills me in a lot of disability history that I know very little about and my other roommate teaches me what it is like t live with a “hidden “ disability. Spending time with them has also showed me that we have the same fears and desires. I am not walking through this ablest world alone. I am so grateful for my roommates!

This blog post has been roommate approved by both parties*  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.