Monday, June 4, 2012

Hello Everyone,

My name is Theresa Taylor and I am from Albany, New York, where I attend the College of Saint Rose.  I am a senior who is majoring in Social Work, and I will graduate with my BSW in December of 2013.  It is such an honor to have been chosen to intern along side the amazing group of individuals who are here with me this summer.  I am so grateful to have the support of the AAPD, and I look forward to getting to know each and everyone of you over the next ten weeks. 

                                            A picture from my Chinatown excursion.


I am a late bloomer.  At 51 years old, I am probably the oldest intern to have ever gone through this program.  A life sesson I have learned, and want to share, is that it is never too late to follow your dreams.  Being here, in this wonderful program, among such wonderful interns, in this most wonderful of places, is truly a dream come true!  I feel energized by the committed younger interns I have met, whose enthusiasm and positive energy are contagious and who give me great comfort in knowing that such passionate people are committed to inclusion, equality, rights, and  disability culture; fully present, yet forward thinking toward the future, with respect for those who  have come before them.  I am so proud to be a part of this community!

 After one week in Washington, I can say that I have truly been "bitten" by the DC bug...I think the only cure is to come back here after I graduate!  I can't
think of a better place to come work for the rights of the disabled.  I have had the opportunity to go explore our city with another intern, and we have enjoyed exploring a museum together, as well as Pentagon City and Chinatown.  I have even conquered my fear of the Metro!

I cannot believe how many people of influence we have met in one short week; all of whom have given of their time to speak with us, mentor us, support us, and advise us.  AAPD, I cannot thank you enough for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!

Now let the summer begin, let the internships commence; it is time to LEAD ON!

I wish you all the best--TT

                                     
                                          The mall at the Pentagon City Station.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.