Sunday, July 18, 2010

Week 8: Be the Go-To

These past seven weeks have provided an intellectually invigorating experience that I am so grateful for. Throughout my experience in the office, I continue trying to be the go-to person for as many things as possible. For example, if there is something that needs to be done that I can do, no matter the task, I always volunteer to do it. This past week, the Chief of Staff needed something done and I eagerly volunteered to do it. The next time he needed the same thing done, he came to me and asked me to do it. An internship is not necessarily an opportunity to demonstrate expertise in a certain area, but an opportunity to demonstrate character and an eagerness and will to learn. I came to DC with a hunger to learn and the will to work extremely hard. If nothing else, that is what I'd want my boss to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.