Monday, July 19, 2010

On My Heels

This blog is dedicated to my amazing summer which is coming to a close. I think Washington D.C. is such a great city and I am going to miss it a lot. I have learned a lot this summer and have had a lot of fun. I really hope that someday I get to come back to Washington D.C. This city is full of surprises. For example, last week I was walking through Georgetown and realized that what I thought was a bookstore, next to other stores and restaurants, was a branch of the DC Public Library. It was pretty cool that the library is in the middle of all the action, shopping, dining, and reading all on the same side of the sidewalk and in the same block.

Living in Washington for such a short period of time has its down side too. At times I want to see and do so much that I end up really exhausted. But that is OK, more reason to come back. The subway can be not so great after certain hours, and I must confess that the grid system of letters/numbers as it converges around different circles is sometimes difficult to navigate and get oriented to when looking for a particular place.

My summer in Washington D.C. resulted in being different than I expected. I thought that I was going to spend a lot of time on the Mall visiting all of the Smithsonian Museums, but I have visited only five of them because I found there were so many other things to do in the city. I am going to try to catch up on the Smithsonian front on the last two weekends I am in town, but I have really enjoyed visiting many of the distinct neighborhoods within the city, Woodley Park, Adams Morgan, Georgetown, Tenleytown, Dupont Circle, Capitol Hill, etc.

I also thought that D.C. would be a big city but I have run into enough people I know to give me a feeling that I am walking in a small town. I have run into AAPD interns, interns from work, AAPD staff, and people from church. I also enjoyed seeing public figures. I remember walking out of a building and seeing Dana Bash from CNN, and quite a few politicians on the Hill. Washington DC has been a great place to be this summer of 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.