Monday, July 12, 2010

Shopping for Food in Washington, D.C.

I have tried to shop at different food stores while in Washington, D.C. in order to compare prices and the variety of goods available. I must admit I enjoy more eating out than shopping for food or preparing it. As you can probably guess I like to eat what other people cook. I must confess that I am not a good cook. I do love to visit the supermarket’s fruit and vegetable sections. I have been to two different supermarkets and I noticed how expensive some of my favorite fruits are when compared to home. When I go shopping for fruits at home I love to look at their colors and smells. When I buy them I love their texture, the juice and their consistency in my mouth. Some of my favorite tropical fruits are pineapples, mangos and guavas. In D.C., I have seen lots of bananas, all of the same kind. I also saw some pineapples and mangos in the supermarkets I visited, but there were no guavas. What attracts me most about guavas is their smell. I just love it. The kind of bananas that I like from Puerto Rico I did not see here in the supermarkets, they are smaller in size, wider and taste different, like a mix of apples and bananas at the same time. In Puerto Rico we call them “manzanos”.

Sunday I reminded myself that I had to go food shopping. As convenient as CVS is, that does not constitute food shopping, I needed to go to a supermarket. So I went to “Trader Joe’s” where I found some reasonable prices and a certain variety of fruits and vegetables. Granted some things were way over-priced, there were not as many tropical fruits as I can find at home, but some bananas and mangos looked nice. Their prices were too expensive and I decided to wait until I go back home again to have them again. Nonetheless, I was able to find reasonably priced popcorn, peanut butter, cereal bars and some different brands of cereal. I was able to get a bit of breakfast food for a good price and I actually do not have to cook what I bought. Great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.