Tuesday, July 6, 2010

July 4th Weekend!

Throughout the summer, I’ve been posting some very engaging entries about what I’ve been up to. Though I think I might use this weekly entry to take a short break & write about my July 4th weekend :)

Believe it or not, I was born on the 4th of July! It’s pretty exciting to have the entire country celebrating with me in the form of parades, concerts, fireworks, BBQs & other fun events. And my July 4th birthday weekend in Washington D.C. was certainly no exception. On Friday night, my mentor, Day Al-Mohamed & her partner invited me to a BBQ at their house right outside the city. As I’ve written here before, I’ve learned a lot from Day this summer & the BBQ was a great way to get to know her even better in a more casual setting.

On Sunday, I went with several of the AAPD interns, staff & friends to A Capitol Fourth on the West end of the Capitol, the annual concert broadcast on PBS. I’m a huge Motown fan, so seeing Gladys Knight perform live was great. Of course, she performed, among others, “Midnight Train to Georgia”, which is one of my favorite songs. Lang Lang performed Souza’s “Stars & Stripes Forever” on the piano, which is one of my favorite patriotic songs. It was great to personally experience how our nation’s capitol celebrates the 4th of July & now I can say I’ve spent one of my birthdays attending the famous A Capitol Fourth! It was also a lot of fun spending my birthday with AAPD & relaxing with several folks I haven’t been able to spend as much time with as I’d like.

Lastly, I have members on both sides of my family who live in the Washington D.C. metro area. Since the city can be a tad over-stimulating & draining at times, it’s been great to be able to have some time away when I’ve visited them on the weekends. They have all been great to me while I’ve been here. My aunt decided to hold a birthday BBQ for me yesterday & invited each of my family members in the area. It was such a pleasure to be with all of them under one roof & I also got to see several family friends & another aunt who was visiting.

I’ve had a great experience in Congresswoman Baldwin’s office so far & it’s also been great to see family & friends during my free time that I don’t get to see as regularly otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.