Friday, July 30, 2010

Amazing Week

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, I hope that you have a good week but I am sure that I did because of many things happening this week. Before I start to explain my five days of advantages in Washington DC, I want to say with my deeply heart, thank you for people who helped congress to pass the important law, American with Disabilities Act because I can’t believe how much of freedom that I can get from my workplace, but if ADA law haven’t passed, I might not get what I get for this country. Anyway, let’s start with my interesting days:

Monday (July 26, 2010): I was working till noon then I went to my apartment to relax and getting ready for White House, but I thought that AAPD interns will able to talk with President Obama but we did not meet the President Obama, however, we did see him while he was giving the speech for people with disabilities and other things. Also, I get a chance to meet him and shake his hand when he was shaking people’s hand in the first row, I was sitting in fourth row and got through to first row to able to shake his hand. Also, I met the future NAD (National Association for Deaf) CEO for April, since the current one will retire this upcoming year. Also, I also get the chance to see Joe Biden (Vice-President) but he was talking to someone. Also, I saw Marlee Matlin, she went to my college recently but the students at my college needs to pay 10 dollars to take a picture with her but I did get a picture but don’t have to pay 10 dollars which is AWESOME! After the White House, I decide to go back to apartment with one of my friends to pick up the tickets and I can able to attend to Gala, I saw my mentor, and important people who are also hearing impaired or deaf. Then I watch the speeches by Tony Coelho, and others. Then I got lost in the city but I find my way back to my apartment and I was very exhausted on that night because of many of events and people that I need to meet or want to meet.

Tuesday (July 27, 2010): I was working till 345pm because I able to met another deaf professional (or you may call another deaf employee) who also work for USCG (United States Coast Guard), his name is Jeff Paden, he is working for USCG for 21 years and will be 22 years, it was a great chance to meet him but I was disappointed that he graduated from Gallaudet, because I am not a big fan of Gallaudet because of many reasons but I do respect that college and Gallaudet is not a place for me because of my family background and I do not feel fit to that college but I do feel fit to my college, Rochester Institute of Technology because there are two worlds in that college with different background of people, also there are a lot of deaf people but with another kind of disability. But anyway, after my work, I went out with my roommate & friend to meet Marc Langerman, he work with my agency but different department, we had a good dinner, I went to Chinatown for some Chinese foods. Then we went back to our apartment afterward and another day being so exhausted.

Wednesday (July 28, 2010): It was relaxing day for me because I was working till end of the time but I discover that I had a problem with PowerPoint presentation but I helped my CWO (Chief Warrant Officer) Hope with her problem with PowerPoint presentation, something different from working with Database but I fixed it and she was all happy till my another co-worker has another problem, I assume I need to learn more about how to overcome the problem when I had a hard time troubleshooting with PowerPoint, something different from what I learn in school because there are always different types of problems where my professors can’t solve but again, I really like to learn new things every day.

Thursday (July 29, 2010): It was very quiet and relaxing at my workplace because there is nothing to do except I had a meeting with my AAPD staff (may I call her my boss, Sarah Peterson? Ha-ha), anyway, the meeting was about how do I like my internship, suggestions, feedback, etc. It was a great experience to work with her and other AAPD staffs along with class of AAPD interns this year.

Friday (July 30, 2010): There is nothing to say about this day because Friday is mostly day for people to settled down with overload of work but there is a event that AAPD hosting for but I might can’t make it but I also want to say Thank you for a lot of support through this summer. I want to keep in touch with AAPD staffs, and of course, with AAPD interns.

In closing, there is one more week of internship left and I may start my thank-you letters to everyone that I met and talk with during this summer, only 5 more days of internship then I will be Alumni for this internship.

Here are five quotes before I am going to sign-out for this week blog:
· When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
o Victor Frankl
· “Sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down.”
· We are driven by five genetic needs: survival, love and belonging, power, freedom, and fun.
o William Glasser
· For me, disability is a way of getting some extremity, some kind of very difficult situation that throws an interesting light on people.
o Mark Haddon
· “The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in.”
o Morrie Schwartz

That is all Ladies and Gentlemen, have a lovely weekend and be careful :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.