Sunday, July 11, 2010

Internship Blog for Week Seven

Wow! I had a good time at the office on Tuesday! I was there with a co-worker and chatted with a woman knows ASL. Ms. Emmonds (Office of Personnel Management) interviewed me (with an interpreter) for the background investigation. It took about an hour for the interview. After lunch, a woman came to my office about the videophone; I’m excited about this because I can start to participate in meetings. She told me that my videophone didn’t get setup yet because they need to get the modem from Verizon. A co-worker came to my office and shows me what he doing on his job about different devices with firewall more security. I think him since showed what it looks like, I can to start working on a project with some co-workers. I had nothing to do today. I am still waiting for modem to arrive for setup videophone then can I join a meeting with group on calls. I just sit in my office all day and read the book. I feel concern because I feel like I did not learn anything today. I really would rather keep busy when I am here. Friday was interesting. My POC came to my office and asked me who the interpreter is last Tuesday? I explained the interpreter was for my background investigation and not relative to DHS. He explained he was trying to get an interpreter for meetings for me and I showed him the website and he was very impressed! Now he gave me a schedule of meetings and is making an appointment for an interpreter for me for all the meetings. I have to setup a request for the date and time and where the meeting is at. I asked him if all meetings are by phone conference or in the conference room. He explained that every Tuesday we will have staff meeting in the conference room. I explained I don’t need to make an appointment for interpreter with phone conference because I can use videophone for VRI (Video Remote Interpreting). He said, “I thought it just was only one-on-one?” I explained that yes, but can have more people than one-on-one in the videophone for meetings. He said “wow that’s awesome”! I am excited because now I can start to participate in the meetings next week for sure! I’m really excited about it; I can’t wait to participate and learn more at the meetings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.