Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Week to Remember

Words can hardly capture the surreal experience of attending the highly anticipating BP hearing or hearing Tony Hayward testify in front of the Energy and Commerce Committee in person. Knowing that the event taking place in front of my eyes and that people across the nation were anxiously waiting to hear or read about the words I was hearing my own ears was a surreal experience. To know that at that very moment history was being made and that I was a part of it is an experience that I will always cherish. I was also fortunate to attend the Armed Services Committee Hearing on the Situation in Afghanistan and witness General David Petraeus testify regarding recent developments from the first row open to the public. While Senator McCain was questioning General Petraeus, the General fainted. Thankfully General Petraeus was only suffering from a bout of dehydration. Beyond attending Committee hearings on my off-time, I’ve tried to make the most of my time here in DC this past week by taking advantage of all the activities and opportunities DC has to offer. This week I watched my hometown Royals take on the Nationals, visited the National Museum of American Indian History, the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, the Freer Gallery of Art, the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, and the National Gallery of Art’s Sculpture Garden. From the committee hearings to my time on the National Mall, and the Nationals Stadium, this week truly was a week to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.