Friday, June 18, 2010

1 Month this Sunday

Hello all,

For starters, this Sunday it will be one month since I started my internship. There have been some ups and downs along the way, but I feel that I’ve really settled in at my placement, and things are starting to go really well for me.

The type of work I’m doing is interesting yet completely different from what I expected. I’m a get-it-done kind of guy, and while I had some previous experience at consulting to customers, this internship takes it to a whole new level. I’m working directly with the Public Sector division of Microsoft, and together we provide consulting services to the Customs and Border Protection branch of the Department of Homeland Security. The role of consultant is just that however, a consulting role. 99.9% of all implementation and actual tasks are done by on-staff CBP IT employees. We essentially guide them and suggest possible ways to better do certain tasks, and of course, recommend Microsoft products and help with implementation of said Microsoft products.

It’s not quite what I expected, but it’s not a bad experience at all. In fact, I quite like the kind of work I’m doing. I’m stretched a bit thin at the moment, between several separate projects, and more being added to the list every day, but I can handle it. I hope that I’m able to make an impact on the workplace, so that when I’m gone they remember the intern from this summer who was there and helped out, and made a difference in how things operate.

Until next time,

Ron S. Nunes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.