Monday, June 21, 2010

Georgetown

This weekend I walked the Georgetown neighborhood and the Georgetown University campus. It was quite a walk from Foggy Bottom but totally worth it. The neighborhood was full of restaurants, shops and historic buildings. I kept stopping every time I saw a plaque, but then realized that if I continued doing that I would never get back to my dorm. I saw the Georgetown University campus and the buildings around Healy Circle made me think of Harry Potter. I got a good view of the Potomac River and passed by the row house that had been the residence of then Senator John F. Kennedy.

I was trying to find something to give my Dad for Father’s Day. I couldn’t think of what to get him. I was starting to think I would just get him a card when I became hungry and walked by “Mr. Smith”, a restaurant and bar. I remembered then that my parents had been there several times many years ago, so I decided to have something to eat, and then it occurred to me that maybe I could get my Dad something from one of the places he talked about from his years living in D.C. I asked the waitress if they sold any souvenirs with the restaurant’s logo and slogan and sure they did. So I ended up having dinner and doing my Father’s Day shopping at the same place. And yes, Dad was right, the food was good, the waitress friendly and they had live piano music, which was great. After dinner I walked back to the dorm and I was exhausted, but I did have the opportunity to go by many of the places I heard stories about at home from Dad. Foggy Bottom is a great neighborhood but Georgetown is just a good walk away and it is great too. Everyone should go to Georgetown at least once.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.