Sunday, June 13, 2010

Another week!

Hey everyone!

So I just finished my second week at HQ, and I'm still loving it. This week was exhausting, but also pretty exciting. I went to two briefings on health care reform (one on the general state of health care and one on HC from a disability perspective), and I think I'm starting to understand what's happening with it. On the other hand, the more I learn about health care, the more I realize that it's extremely complicated. Either way, it's going to mean big things for people with disabilities. I am also working on a project that involves incorporating disability into a program called LifeSmarts, which is a program to promote consumer awareness and knowledge in teenagers. It might seem trivial, but disability is so often neglected as a subject that I think it's really important to get in wherever we can. I also got published this week! Check out JFA if you're interested, but I wrote two articles last week (one on market regulation for medical devices and one about the proposed Hearing Aid Tax Credit Assistance Act), and now they're up on the blog.

After work, I've mostly just been hanging around my neighborhood and getting to know my roommates. I also think I mentioned I have some family and friends around - this weekend I met my cousin for breakfast and hung out with my sister quite a bit. Last night we went to a barbecue at her friend's house in Maryland, and I saw someone I knew from school. It was a lot of fun! Also, I have to mention that people were going CRAZY yesterday in Dupont Circle when the US tied England in the World Cup. They were acting like we had won the whole Cup, but it was fun to be around all the excitement. More next week!

1 comment:

  1. I'm really glad you've taken up the LifeSmarts project, Zoe. It could be a way to pass the disability advocacy torch on, in a new way! For more on the LifeSmarts program, see http://www.lifesmarts.org/index.php?page=aboutus

    ReplyDelete

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.