Thursday, June 10, 2010

My first week

I started work at EEOC on Tuesday. It was mostly meeting people and making the rounds. I don't really have my own space but am outside the cubicle of Deanna, a deaf woman. We had trouble with my email, so we had to reimage the computer. I learned a lot by seeing how she was patient and wanted me to be at home. I really appreciated it since I had six emails already. I am glad I have a laptop since I need to get more comfortable with them over desktops. I did more desk work today. I needed to read a document, and didn’t know how to get into the system. The person I asked, didn’t know either but he got someone else to email it to me, and then another person showed me how to print in color since it had graphs. It was a process of finding help and asking for it as soon as I needed it.

I appreciated the people who thought of my comfort. Like one woman who saw I was interested in Yoga and brought a brochure over that it was starting today, every Wednesday at 12-1. She borrowed a beach towel since I didn’t have my mat and walked me down since it is in a meeting room and we have security here. I liked the laying flat on my back and deep breathing. We were few just 4 but serious in our effort, as people in suits went around us to get to the meeting room. But our work paid off in feeling relaxed. As the guy who helped me with my first dilemma with printing, said “people come and they go.” I guess that is a good attitude with technical support where people are always asking about their small crises but then you listen and try to see from their perspective.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.