Friday, June 25, 2010

And so work begins

I finally started work this week, and I'm so glad not to be sitting at home. My week started with two days of orientation where I learned the basics of USCIS operations. It is pretty great to see an organization actually has some sense of computer security, and I even learned a couple things about maintaining secure networks. I have always loved learning about securing networks and software. I often enjoy reading about how people penetrate systems and software, and use that knowledge to secure my own operations.
Later in the week I actually started working. My work is focused on data migration and website development. I got into it pretty quickly and was able to come up with ideas to streamline migration. I am pretty satisfied with my work considering I wrote some code in a language I never used before. It was pretty fun to challenge myself to code without looking up language syntax.
I have (of course) been biking to work every day. And while I endup sweaty and get to change my shirt, it saves me lots of time and money. I can do the two mile ride in about 10 minutes, and that’s only because of the annoying lights.
Welcome to the work force.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.