Friday, June 12, 2009

Working Girl

So it's only my second week on the job, and I'm happy to report that I've been meshing well with my boss and co-workers. They're all ecstatic to see me every day and eager to learn signs to better communicate with me. They're always asking me, "Are you having fun?" I love meeting new people, and my boss has been keen on making sure she introduces me to each and every one.

Just two days ago, I even bumped into the Secretary of DOT: Ray LaHood. He just came right up to me and shook my hand. I was quite honored to meet him and astounded by his presence. He's so much taller than I imagined.

Well, anyways, I've been working on a webpage for the Secretary's office. Really I'm just giving them a head start, and his office will monitor and tweak it. That's been fun and quite the learning experience. I feel like I spend so much time on the little details, but that's how you learn... attention to detail!

I forgot to mention it last week, but I've been quite inspired by the quantity of female presence in our office and even the building. Being the only girl in my classes back in college at times, I thought I'd be in the minority again in my field of work. But instead, I've been surrounded by many strong female individuals in my workplace and it really motivates me. I definitely look up to my boss as a role model as well; she's very hands-on with endless energy.

Another thing I've been picking up on... everyone seems to have ended up in their jobs by their experiences. They didnt necessarily plan on being where they're at now, but their past job experiences influenced their roles now. And when I think about it, I never imagined working for DOT before and yet here I am. So it has me wondering where it'll take me...

Sheiba!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.