Friday, June 26, 2009

Work and Play One Month In, By Mitch Paschen

Can you believe it? I have been here one month already, and only have a month and a half to go. I have done so much, yet have so much more to do.

Work is finally turning from boring grunt work to interesting computer configuration. Instead of just setting up monitors and going around to ask what needs to be done, I am working with the LAN (Local Area Network) team on deploying all the new computers (152 of them) to people who have older machines. Each computer has to be imaged and then brought over to the cubicle. Next, all files on the old computer are backed up to a secure server. After that, the old computer is unplugged while the name from it is written down. The new machine is then plugged in, turned on, and logged into. The name from the old machine is copied onto the new one as we recycle computer names. After that, files that were backed up to the server are copied over to the new machine. Then, the computer is joined to the domain (the office network), and the network printers are added. Finally, the machine is restarted and the user is ready to work on their brand new computer. The whole process takes about 30 minutes not including the imaging. I am the person in charge of recording who gets what machine by serial number.

I have also had a tiny bit of experience today with running cable through the top of the ceiling. It was quite fun, except that I almost fell off the ladder.

Also at work this week was our Tiki barbecue. On Wednesday, I not only got to wear shorts and sandals to work, but I also got to enjoy free cheeseburgers and hotdogs all while listening to some pop music performed by fellow employees. The event was held in the parking garage on the top two levels, with the consuming of food under cover and the cooking of the food on the roof above. A few of us had to come down early that morning and help decorate the garage to make it seem a little livelier with streamers and decorations. On Friday, we got to eat the leftovers for lunch. Delicious!!

Last weekend, my dad came to visit and we had a great time. There was dinner at the Froggy Bottom Pub (yes, it actually is the word “froggy”). After that, we took a walk to the Lincoln Memorial at around 11:30pm. There are still throngs of people there that time of night. On Saturday, we went to the Holocaust Museum and decided in the afternoon to do something to uplift our spirits, so we went to a saloon called The Exchange. After that, we toured the Old Post Office, went over to the Kennedy Center, and had dinner at the Bangkok Bistro in Georgetown. On Sunday after my dad left, a few of us interns went to Arlington Cemetery where we visited General Lee’s house, the Tomb of the Unknowns, and Kennedy’s gravesite.

All in all, I am stoked to not only be working, but also to be enjoying the sights of DC. I will be going to Mount Vernon with some other interns on Sunday, and possibly to a Nationals game next Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.