Thursday, June 4, 2009

An experience that is truly unforgettable


By Mitch Paschen

Outside of the window of the airplane as we approached Reagan Airport, I spotted the Washington Monument, the Capitol, the Lincoln Memorial, Gravelly Point, and other DC landmarks I was dying to visit. I could barely contain myself as I waited patiently for my luggage at the baggage claim. I had decided against taking the Metro to GW because I had three suitcases to roll. Instead, I opted for a taxi. I’m glad I did. The taxi driver and I had a wonderful conversation about the various places to visit in DC and about the very humid summer. I had been waiting since February when I had first heard that I was accepted into this internship program to get out here, and I had finally made it.
Over the next few days, I slowly got acclimated to campus. The Watergate, being only two blocks away, proved all too irresistible. This is how the post office and the Safeway grocery store were discovered.
I really enjoyed meeting all the interns on the first day. It was great to find out where everyone was from. Although I am the only intern from Wisconsin, I still share a bond with a few other interns. I, being Jewish, did not expect two other interns to also be Jewish. We hope to attend a Friday night service soon.
Today, June 4, was my first day of work. After navigating a few shuttles and obtaining ID badges, I was ready to start. First and foremost, I was introduced to a former AAPD intern who works for CBP now. Next, the staff took me and the other intern I am working with to lunch at a delicious Chinese Restaurant. Finally, I started on my first project which included checking computers for a certain piece of software. I imagine more is to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.