Sunday, June 7, 2009

Acceptance

Self Acceptance

I have Tourette’s Syndrome. Two years ago I couldn’t get myself to say those words out loud. Even now, when I do, my heart beat accelerates. I’m not even really sure why its so hard for me to acknowledge my Tourette's. I never gave it much thought. Maybe its the fact that to most people Tourette's is a mysterious disease. Maybe I am afraid that people will write me off, that no matter how "normal" I look and act, they will fall victim to stereotypes. It's kind of like a single women with children... people are just hesitant to get involved. Whether or not that's the reason I've always known that I didn’t want anyone to know that I had Tourette’s Syndrome. And nobody meant nobody. For years when people asked about my verbal ticks, even my best friends, I would tell them that I was humming. My physical ticks? I had a bad back that needed stretching. When I couldn’t hang out because of doctor’s appointments I would tell my friends that I had to go shopping with my mom... I wonder if they ever wondered why, if I was always shopping, I had the same amount of clothes as they did. When I would take my tests in other rooms at school for the quiet and the extended time I would make up elaborate stories about where I was… “I had another test so I had to start my test early but there was a lecture in our room before class so the teacher said I could take it in the library.” I was embarrassed too. I didn't want people to think that I was cheating the system, that I was being given an advantage. (When I take tests my mind forces me to spend a good fifteen minutes at the start of the test going over elaborate number and word patterns. Once I've done it correctly I can begin... everything in life is like that).

A few years ago I started becoming more comfortable with my disability. I remember walking in a nearby park, alone, late at night, and in the face of great internal resistance I got myself to whisper the words, “I have Tourette’s Syndrome” to myself. Since then I have slowly become more comfortable. I have confided in more and more people but not in nearly as many as I should have. Often I have wanted to tell a close friend but have been unable to summon the courage.

In the last two weeks I have been thrown into the ring. In 2 weeks I have made more progress with regard to accepting my disability and with regard to feeling comfortable about it than I have in my entire life. On my first day in D.C. I met a guy at registration and we became friends. Over the next week I kept telling him that I was interning “with a program.” I refused to tell him which program however. My crash course in acceptance however wouldn’t let that fly. One evening we went out to dinner and I told him everything. I’d known him for about a week and I opened up…

I am not 100% yet. I am still struggling to be open with people as well as with myself. I am however making tremendous progress. I am learning to identify openly as a person with a disability. And so I want to say that I am proud to represent the AAPD and to have the AAPD represent me.

By: Andrew Lustig

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.