Monday, June 22, 2009

First Week on the Hill by Rohmteen Mokhtari

A somewhat more conventional post...

This was my first week working for Del. Eni Faleomavaega of American Samoa. So far I've been enjoying myself. I was very happy to learn on the first day that I did not have to wear a coat every day, and on days when the house in not in session... jeans!

Its been fun walking down the halls of the Rayburn House Office Building and seeing a flurry of important people in suits as well as people who think they are important, also in suits. I am fascinated by the work that these people do and its impact. Its also interesting that there are so many people behind one person. By this I mean that it takes so many staffers to make an office run, and they are all extensions of one person. Everything they do is done on behalf of a congressperson. In some ways a congressperson is like Target, when someone puts on their red uniform they become an extension of the company. If you do well your congressperson get the credit, if you mess up s/he pays the price. To be clear, I'm not saying theres anything wrong this, I just think its interesting since most people would like to think of their congressman as a super-person who does it all as opposed to the director and manager of a much larger operation.

Anyways, I'm actually beginning to see some DC sites that I haven't seen before. I've realized that going to GW you tend to exist in a Foggy Bottom bubble, so its been fun to go see some of the museums and other stuff. Did you know there exist cool places to hang out in Virginia besides Pentagon City Mall? But yeah, here's a statue that looks impressive/important...

Rohmteen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.