Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Fabio Botarelli 4th Blog (Why Are We Here?)

One of the questions that I have asked myself since getting off that plane from New York is “Why am I in Washington DC.” At first the answer seems obvious, we AAPD interns are here because we want to get involved in the political realm, but after going through the motions of this week’s events I know it is much more than that.

On Monday, we were all invited to the American Restaurant to meet up with the employees of MEAF and the distinguished disability activists Susan Daniels, Ellin Nolan and Jane West. The lunch with these people was a munificent gesture by the staff of AAPD and I want to thank them personally for elevating all the interns to this level of respectability. In the real world we AAPD interns are known as people with disabilities but on this special day we were all treated as the leaders of tomorrow. When I look back at the group picture that was taken I see a bunch of buoyant individuals who are genuinely happy to be where they are. No photographer had to say smile or cheese; we were all smiling the second we walked through the doors of the American restaurant. If this cohesiveness can translate to the other representatives of the disability community I have no doubt that if they saw our picture they would finally understand why it would be best to share resources as opposed to fighting over them. But just when I thought things were about to go back to a level of predictability, Thursday brought its own brand of surprises. I was on my way to a transportation subcommittee hearing in the Rayburn office building when it suddenly started to downpour. Without an umbrella I was literally taking a shower with clothes on as I had to wait in a long line that extended outside. By the time I got in my clothes were wet and when I walked into the conference room I became the center of attention because everyone can see through my shirt. With a wounded dignity, I took my seat in an isolated corner but before I could dwell on my pessimistic disposition a shy and light hearted girl felt sorry for me and decided to start a conversation. She was so beautiful I almost forgot that I had a hearing to take notes on, but thank god I am not the type of guy who wears their heart on their sleeve. And when we both left the building it was sunny outside and my clothes began to dry and I have been in contact with this person since. She is from Ohio and though I would love to give out her name I don’t want any unnecessary competition so sorry guys. By the conclusion of this week I finally understood why I am hear. Like all the other interns we are here because our accomplishments our the accomplishments of AAPD. And if the weather happens to be foul and rainy we don’t have to become foul and rainy because the strangers we see every day will not know that you are sunny inside.

1 comment:

  1. And now you know why we issue those AAPD-branded umbrellas the first day of Orientation! haha! The storms can be unpredictable . . . just as unpredictable as chance encounters on Capitol Hill . . . :)

    ReplyDelete

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.