Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Final Arrival

Nathan D Turner

Hello everyone,

My name is Nathan Turner and I recently joined the MEAF Congressional Internship Program. Here is just a little bit about myself. I am a senior at Wright State University majoring in political science with a concentration in international studies. I aspire to become a civil rights lawyer and intend to pursue doctoral opportunities in public policy. As a brief aside, Wright State University-- despite the inconvenient academic schedule (-: -- is a wonderful school for students with disabilities. I will discuss this further in future posts.

I have served the disability community locally (Mayoral Commission on Disability), statewide (Partners in Policymaking) and nationally (NCD’s Youth Advisory Committee). Currently, I am a Council member for the Ohio Statewide Independent Living Council and serve as Secretary-Treasurer for the National Youth Leadership Network.

As a congressional intern, I have a unique placement in the AAPD’s office. I am coordinating development of the Justice for All newsletters, assisting efforts to nominate Judge Sonia Sotomayor, serving as a representative on conference calls and other duties as assigned. Today, I was supposed to attend a congressional meeting on Capitol Hill, but found out it was postponed after I arrived. The moral of this story is the importance of adaptability.

I want to express my gratitude to the program funders, AAPD, and my fellow interns for a fantastic welcome and look forward to a positive experience.

Warmest regards,
NATHAN

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.