Saturday, July 4, 2009

Story

Story

So things are going well for me I guess. I don’t really have that much to say so I’m going to tell you a story.

So I was maybe 10 years old and I was playing roller hockey in the street with some friends. My mom came to pick me up earlier than I had hoped and I was disappointed. We went back and forth a few times and I lost and so I gathered my things and skated towards the car. As I went to climb into the back seat I kicked the side of the car with my skate. “Was that on purpose?!” my mom asked, thinking I had kicked her car because I was angry about being picked up. I knew deep down that I hadn’t done it on purpose. It was an accident. My mind however immediately went into OCD mode. My mind did two things. 1. It convinced me that I had done it on purpose and 2. It told me that if I “lied” and told my mom that it had been an accident that I wouldn’t be able to live with myself. So, I responded, “Yes. I did it on purpose.” So, I was punished for kicking the car. This happened before I really understood my OCD. Even now it is often difficult for me to distinguish between a legitimate thought or concern and an obsession. If I am stressing over something am I obsessing or am I giving deserved attention to something important? Now I am much better at acknowledging the obsessions. If I kicked a car today by accident, even if my mind told me it was on purpose, I would (to an extent) be able to say “OK. I know I feel that way but it is an obsession.” But back then the obsessions were so much stronger than my thought process. I couldn’t distinguish. I didn’t know that there were two things. If I’m thinking it than it must be my thought process! A part of me must be telling me that I did it on purpose. I didn’t realize that this “part of me” wasn’t really a part of me. It was an intruder. It wasn’t mine. It had no business in my head. But I gave it as much consideration, if not more, as the competing voices in my head. Anyway, about a year ago I told my mom that I was innocent. She had no idea what I was talking about but I told her that next time she gets mad at me she owes me one!

Andrew Lustig

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.