Friday, July 17, 2009

Random Thoughts, by Mitch Paschen



The picture is of me with my two brothers on the rooftop terrace of the Kennedy Center.

With July starting to wind down, it is very hard for me to grasp that I only have a few weeks left here in DC. I do wish that I could stay longer, but at the same time I am anxious to get home and continue my education at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.

I have already seen almost all of the DC attractions that I have wanted to see while here, and I am beginning to feel like a true Washingtonian. Almost every day on the Metro, people will come up to me and ask where something is, whether it is how many stops to a certain station, or how to get to a certain museum on the National Mall. The last few weeks, I have been checking out the local culture more than I have been going to tourist attractions. I have had dinner with my mentor twice already at very nice restaurants, with a third dinner scheduled for a week from Monday. I have also visited with some locals including another intern's family (see last week's entry) and some friends of my aunt and uncle. I have also met up with a few people from my summer camp past that now live in DC. I learn what it is like to live here and how it is different from home.

This weekend is very special because my parents are in town. I have gotten to show them the Metro system, several museums, and a few restaurants so far. This weekend, we are going to be taking a capitol tour, and visit the Old Post Office. This is my chance to show them what a true Washingtonian I have become.

At work, several of my coworkers are going on vacation. I have also had to move to a different cubicle today. Other than that, it is business as usual. There hasn't been much in the way of new developments this week, so look forward to my next post.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Mitch for posting this picture of the "paschen" brothers.

    ReplyDelete

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.