Friday, July 17, 2009

More Flash Dashboard

Work is fun. I’m almost finished with the project management dashboard in Flash, and I’m really excited to see what my supervisors, Tom and Wes, think about it. It’s great that they gave me so much freedom in designing it, and it gave me the opportunity to learn more about Java components. I hope that the computers at the Coast Guard will be able to open and run applications made in Flash. For those who don’t know, Flash wasn’t developed to be used in a professional management context. Rather, it’s typically used for graphic intensive applications like games and those online ads where you shoot a duck and “win” an IPod. The functions that I’m using to save data to the project management server were actually intended to save gamers’ high scores. The name “Flash” alone implies something that just appears and disappears in an instant. Not really a concept that most successful businesses and especially governments want to embrace in the long term.

Oh well. Nobody to blame but myself for refusing to use Java because I thought it would be easier to make visual displays in Flash. This is the first time I’ve programmed in an office context, so I have a lot to learn about compatibility and how things will actually work for others. But that's one of the great things about this internship; learning how to apply skills to the real world. So, I’ll make it work somehow. If the Coast Guard computers don’t have Adobe Flash Player, then I’ll covert the dashboard to a HTML file and run it in the Internet browser. And next time I will use Java.

Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.