Saturday, May 29, 2010

The first week

I arrived in DC last Saturday with very low expectations. I assumed I would be the usual withdrawn self that sits in front of a computer 24/7 programming. The way I am has been both a curse and blessing. I spend much of my life in solitude with the internet as my only means of communication. I am not good at making friends and often see social events as a waste of my time. However because of this attitude I am able to learn amazing things and can program in about 20 computer languages. I run multiple websites and am often contacted by teachers and friends to create complicated web based applications. I assumed DC would be the same, I would be siting in my cubicle bored out of my mind because the work I was given would be too easy.
I was way off. As I walked out of the terminal doors and took a breath of the humidity filled DC air it was almost as though the chain was taken off my neck and I was free to fly. I was no longer afraid to approach people and talk, and my "poetic soul" has come back to me. This is a very key part of who I am; A couple years ago I was really into poetry and even got 3rd place in one of the largest youth teen poetry festivals in the world. You can check out my performances here, here, and here. Poetry is a very important part of who I am and helps me express myself, it is art, it is my soul, it is me. I am very glad I got it back... although I suppose it never really left, just hibernated.
The orientation this week allowed me to have a better understanding of the business world as well as the disability world. I am ready to take the role of disabled activist and work for change in this world. I feel I am prepared to work and understand how to talk to my boss if my work is too easy or too hard.
Thank you AAPD for preparing me for the workplace and getting my poetic soul back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.