Friday, May 28, 2010

First Week with AAPD

Hello everyone, my name is Jae Lee, I am a sophomore at Virginia Tech studying Political Science and Communications. I am honored to be a part of American Association of Peoples with Disabilities during this summer as the communications intern. I work directly in the AAPD office and have the pleasure of being surrounded by the great group of people in DC!

First, I would like to thank Becki Panoff and David Hale for bringing me on board with AAPD and for making the transition into the office so easy and comfortable.

I was going to write a narrative about the first week, but it was now 4:10 a.m Friday morning and I have to wake up in three hours to see you all again, so I'll just go with the typical blogpost, but please keep a lookout in the upcoming weeks for a fun post! (I had half of it done before I realized that it was so late)

As a communications intern, I will be helping Becki find news articles regarding the current events of the disability community, and helping her manage the AAPD social networking sites and various media outlets. I will also take on a video project, counting down to the 20th anniversary of the ADA, interviewing prominent leaders in the disability community in the DC area. I am very excited to speak with all the people we have lined up to do the interviews and I hope that you will all enjoy them on our Youtube Channel!

My favorite part of this week, other than meeting you all, was the networking reception on Thursday evening. Having the opportunity to meet and speak with all the leaders of the disability community was an experience of a lifetime. I thought i knew so much about how our government functioned before coming to DC, but speaking with everyone made me realize that I have a lot more to learn about how our nations capital works.

I hope that I will be able to go back to school this fall and show off to all my friends about how my summer was so much better than theirs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.