Friday, May 28, 2010

The First Week.

Hi everyone! I am a twenty-one year old from Milwaukee, Wisconsin who attends the University of Wisconsin located in one of the greatest college towns Madison, Wisconsin. In addition to attending my home state’s university, I have the pleasure of working for my congressman, Jim Sensenbrenner of the 5th district of Wisconsin. It has not been my first time in the District, but the warm welcome from AAPD has made my first week here in Washington as exciting as if it has been my first time. What has been the most profound thing to happen to me since coming to Washington and becoming oriented with AAPD? It would have to be the unconditional willingness of AAPD staff and people connected with AAPD to share with me their connections throughout the city to help me further enrich my summer experience and launch me in the right direction towards a future career in Washington. AAPD has paired me with a highly accomplished mentor named Ollie Cantos, who in addition to being an active member in the disability community, works for the Department of Justice. Considering how I hope someday to practice law and work for the government, Ollie’s willingness to connect me with other law professionals has been amazing. The sky seems to be the limit and I can not wait for what lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.