Friday, May 28, 2010

A Self Introduction

Hey All!! I just want to start by introducing myself. Currently my parents live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix, so that is where I call home. Originally, I was born and spent most of my life in Wisconsin, but since my dad was in the navy I have lived in New Orleans and Texas, too. I am a 19 year old rising senior at William Woods University in Fulton, MO. I know...that sounds a little young, I am doing college in 3 years instead of 4. My major is Political and Legal Studies. I am interested in going into either Public Policy or opening my own private practice in Wealth Management and Estate Planning. My school is pretty small, only 1000 people, but we have great faculty and staff. Since our class sizes are only about 30 people or less, you really get to know your professors. Unfortunately, because we are so small, we don't have a lot of diversity. This is a really interesting experience for me because I have never been exposed to a huge disability community. I am learning so much about accomadations and the difficulties other people face in their day to day lives. This week during orientation has really opened my eyes to a whole new community. I especially enjoyed the spiel David Hale and Patrick Coley gave us on the history of the disability rights movement. My favorite part of orientation was being introduced to my mentor and the networking mixer. My mentor is Cheryl Sensenbrenner who is the wife of Congressman Sensenbrenner (R-WI). She is a very outgoing spunky lady, and I hope to learn a lot from her. I am also very excited about my placement. I am working for Congressman Paul Ryan (R-WI). Congressman Ryan serves the district I lived in when I was in middle and high school, so his name and politics are both very familiar to me. I can't wait to start next Tuesday, June 1st. I really suppose that is all I have for now. Signing off,Ericka

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.