Thursday, May 27, 2010

Internship Blog for Week One

Hello! My name is David Thaddeus Cardenas and I am from Chicago, Illinois, a large urban area in the Midwest. I will be interning at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Headquarters.

I arrived in DC on Sunday (May 23, 2010) at around 2pm. At the airport, I was very frustrated because my third bag did not come out. I waited around an hour and ten minutes and then I went to help desk and asked about it. I gave the lady at desk my ticket number and she checked on the computer and told me that my bag will arrive at 4pm and they would send it to me.

When I arrived at George Washington University (GWU) but before entering the apartment, I had to go to housing operation for keys and access ID. I went to BBQ at South Hall on Monday (May 24, 2010) and attended a meeting with David Hale, Andrew Imparato, Sarah Peterson, and other AAPD interns. They were very nice and friendly and I made some new friends.

It was so exciting going to summer intern orientation to see what’s going on and events and network with other persons there. On Tuesday and Wednesday, I went to an orientation meeting at K&L Gates; it was a beautiful building! I learned from the meeting about business cards, how to be professional to people, and various other things. That made me more excited; I can’t wait to start working next Tuesday.

I very much like my Mentor, David Baquis. He is very nice and very much supports the ADA. He impressed me very much; I enjoyed chatting with him. My favorite part of the orientation is social networking because it’s a chance to meet new people and learn about different agencies involved with the government.

I am very thankful for AAPD Summer Intern Orientation because it prepares us and helps get ready to work hard this summer! This is really a great opportunity for any AAPD Summer Intern.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.