Friday, May 28, 2010

A Summer of Opportunity

As I prepared to embark on my journey as an AAPD Congressional Intern for House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, I contemplated what I wanted to accomplish this summer. I view this summer as an outstanding opportunity to enrich my understanding of the intricacies of the legislative process, to learn from the experiences of others and apply what I learn to my own life, to explore the rich cultural offerings and unique attributes of Washington DC, and to explore how my experiences this summer align with the knowledge I’ve accumulated as a Political Science major at Vanderbilt University.

In addition to sharing what I hope to achieve this summer, I’d like to take this opportunity to situate my goals for this summer within the spectrum of what I hope to accomplish professionally. I view a career as an opportunity to make the world a better place and a chance to advocate on behalf of people on a group or case level. I believe that the legal field presents a unique opportunity to advocate on behalf of groups or individuals due to the specialized knowledge required to practice law as well as the profound influences that legal decisions, regulations, and laws have on the lives of all individuals. Though I’m uncertain of whether or not I want to pursue a career in policy advocacy or private practice, I intend to use this summer as an opportunity to observe, educate, and prepare myself to help make the world a better place. Please join me as I embark on a journey this summer in Washington DC to learn, observe, and explore all of the opportunities DC has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.