Wednesday, August 11, 2010

And so it ends

I am currently sitting safely in my room in Chicago, away from the hustle and bustle of D.C. and ya know, I miss it. Granted there are way too many politicians for me, but there is also a lot of amazing innovation as far as technology goes. It was amazing to be a part of that for the summer and to learn key things about myself and the business world. One of the most important things I learned this summer was how to make business connections. AAPD gave me lots of information and support on doing this, and I am very grateful for that… as my father sometimes tells me “It’s not about what you know, it’s about who you know”. Granted this isn’t an amazing quote, but now I feel it means that you could know everything in the world, but you won’t get anywhere unless you make connections and are discovered.
One of the best parts of D.C was one of my roommates, Justin. We seemed to have a lot in common and spent a lot of time discussing issues and how the world works. Since he is about 12 years older than me he had a lot to teach me, and I feel I changed a lot as a person thanks to him. It was nice to come home after a long day and DJ with him all night (take turns sharing music). I was introduced to a lot of really cool bands and songs, and I’m sure he was too.
I suppose when it boils down to it, we all have something to share. The most important thing we should learn is how to expand our networks so we can change the world, and that’s what I’ve learned to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.