Wednesday, August 8, 2012

My goals (part 1)


I have almost finished with my internship experience at the American Association For People with Disabilities. At my internship I have been working on the same project so I felt it would be important to talk about what I got out of this internship oppertunity and how I plan to stay  involved with the disabilites community after. I have decided to devide this blog into three parts.
Part One
This internship has made me aware of the need for the development of a coalition for Youth with Disabilities. After doing some research and speaking with numerous people, I discovered that there is no such group within New Jersey that is open to all Youth with disabilities, in particular kids that are in middle and high school. Ultimately I hope to create such an organization on a grass roots level based out of New Jersey to provide support to Youth with Disabilities and to further educate the public about different types of disabilities.

Youth in general face some of the most difficult challenges and make some of the toughest decisions in their life. Youth with Disabilities face  the same challenges and must perform at the same level  as everyone else but are forced to overcome many additional obstacles such as bullying, depression, concentration, processing and mobility issues . A person’s Youth is the time that their character, interests and ultimately their path toward the future is set.  Providing support to a struggling child can be the difference between them graduating from high school and going on to college or simply dropping out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.