Saturday, May 28, 2011

Orientation and Arriving in DC

My first week in Washington DC has been cram packed with meeting new friends, learning new information both about DC and disability issues, and trying to survive the metro. Traversing the streets of DC in my wheelchair has also challenged my directional skills and forced me to quickly learn when rush hour is and how the traffic will flow at that time.
Virginia Commonwealth University where I attend college was to me, until Monday, considered to be an urban college. Having spent four days on George Washington University’s campus I now have a true understanding of what a REAL urban college can be; chaotic, loud and vast.
On day one of orientation I started meeting new friends from all across the country that I can quickly see will be friends for many years to come. Through learning about their diverse backgrounds and skills I feel a door has opened allowing me to become a more versed disability advocate who better understands a broader spectrum of disabilities.
I am looking forward to starting work on Tuesday and finding out what the Department of Transportation is all about. I am also looking forward to networking with the many individuals I will meet over the next 10 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.