Monday, May 30, 2011

My First Week

It was with a heightened sense of apprehension that I arrived in Washington DC earlier this week. I was not sure if I was going to be able to fit in, and I did not know if I could adapt to the big city again, despite the fact that I had lived in New York for two years.


However, in the last two and a half days that I have been in Washington DC, I have gained a great deal of certainty about my stay here. I have come to the realization that the big city is what I needed all along, and that Washington DC is where I belong.


I have met many passionate professionals that care about the same issues as I do, and in the last two days of meetings and seminars I have learned important lessons from them.


I have learned about the importance of networking and reaching out to everybody, because you do not know when somebody will be of help to you. I have also learned that it is not about what you know, but who you know, and that you must make sure that you are active, involved and constantly on the lookout for new opportunities.


It has always been my dream to be a Lawyer or a diplomat and come to work in Washington DC or New York in the future, and now I am here. I am both excited and still a bit nervous, not because of what I do not know, but because I hope that I will take full advantage of this great opportunity given to me by the American Association of People for Disabilities and Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers office. I am excited to spend the next two months here and in Washington D.C. and I hope to learn as much as possible. Thank you to AAPD and Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers and her staff for giving me this excellent opportunity.


Keep on the lookout for some more interesting blog posts in the near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.