Friday, June 10, 2011

week 3 learning experiences at work

This week was very interesting. I learned how to organize faxes online in Congressman Hoyer's office. I thought it was interesting to learn how faxes were organized based upon constituents and nonconstituents. I learned that organizing the faxes properly is important for the use of software programs that are needed to analyze what is being looked at. I also continued working on my phone skills. I find it somewhat difficult at times knowing how to use the mechanics of the business phone. However, I'm improving though. I have been working on faxes and phone skills all this week which is on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday when I'm in the office. Thursday of this week was very interesting because the chief of staff for Congressman Hoyer's office had lunch with all the interns including myself in the Capitol. The Capitol was beautiful. It was my first time in it. The chief of staff was fun and had a good sense of humor. I learned a valuable lesson from him that I think is really important. "Public Service" is a respected thing to do because you care about the needs of others and want to make a difference in society. I also got to see my mentor Michael Winters. He was a lot of fun. He helped me improve on my phone skills so I can learn how to say things properly. Overall, my week went pretty well. I'm still adjusting to the work environment in Washington, but its all really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.